Depending on your medical condition, the time between being diagnosed and going into hospital can be very short.
This period of time can be very intense and you might have a lot to think about, so here’s a handy list of things that you might want to pack for your stay.
Also, if you get the chance, tell a family member or friend where you keep any spare clothes or other items that you might want brought into hospital later.
Stuff to wear
- comfortable clothes – you won’t need your entire wardrobe, and your family will probably be able to wash and return your clothes between visits
- zipped or button up clothes – you might spend a lot of time attached to a medication line so loose clothes that you can take on and off easily are ideal
- vests, t-shirts and shorts – your room might get hot at times
- plenty of sleepwear, dressing gown, slippers and socks
Stuff for the bathroom
- wash bag – moisturisers, lip balm and hand cream can help relieve any dry skin you might have after your transplant
- mild shampoo and shower gel if your skin becomes sensitive
- spare loo roll and tissues
- contact lenses/glasses
- soft toothbrushes and toothpaste
- strong flavoured snacks – your treatments might leave a nasty taste in your mouth, so things like mints can help
- plain food – if you are struggling with nausea, snacks like shortbread or crackers might be easier to stomach
- cordials and fizzy water – you will have to drink a lot of fluid, and plain water could get a bit boring!
- ice pops/lollies – another good way of taking in fluid, and they can help soothe pain in your mouth and gums (but it might be easier if visitors bring them in for you)
- eye mask and ear plugs – trying to sleep in unfamiliar surroundings can disrupt your normal sleep pattern.
Stuff to keep you busy
- mobile phone – check if the hospital has Wi-Fi for your phone and other devices, or if your contract will cover your data use
- laptop or electronic tablet
- headphones, chargers and an extra long cable that will reach your bed
- a notebook, books and magazines
- jigsaws, puzzles, board games or other crafts and hobbies
- DVD box sets – lose yourself in your favourite TV show or sign up to a streaming service to help pass the time.
Information published: 26/05/2021
Next review due: 26/05/2024