Unlocking new ways to treat every patient
We are Anthony Nolan. We are pioneers in transforming the lives of those needing haematopoietic cell transplants across the globe. And we have always believed new ways to save and improve lives can – and must – be found.
Research has been our strength from the very start when Shirley Nolan took the groundbreaking step of establishing the world’s first register of volunteer bone marrow donors. In the 50 years since, incredible progress has been made and countless lives have been transformed. But now is the time to push this pioneering spirit even further.
If we are to unlock new ways to treat every patient, then research is the key.
While so much has been achieved, we must keep pushing the boundaries to realise our ambitious vision and aims.
This is our research strategy for the next five years. But we cannot achieve it alone and hope you will join us on this exciting journey.
Our Research Strategy focuses on three aims:
Aim 1: Survival: To transform outcomes for every transplant patient
Half of patients tragically don’t survive longer than five years post-transplant, and for those that do their quality of life can be significantly affected.
We need to grow our understanding of how patient, donor and disease factors impact outcomes and quality of life.
Aim 2: Equity: To achieve greater equity of access, experience and outcomes
Unfortunately not every patient has the same access to, experience of, or outcomes from their treatment.
We need to know more about the drivers of these differences and how factors like age, socioeconomic status, and ethnicity can affect patients’ outcomes and experience.
Aim 3: Progress: To contribute to the development of new cell and gene therapies and ensure they are made available to more patients
We want to embrace new treatment opportunities to give more patients more options that lead to better outcomes.
We will support the development and delivery of new cell and gene therapies and understand the barriers in bringing them to patients.
To deliver pioneering research that transforms patient survival, quality of life and equity.
To achieve these ambitious aims, we are investing in our three most powerful tools: Discovery, Data and Donors….
- Discovery is the key to our research strategy. Through pioneering research we will further understand and address the issues that affect so many.
- Data. Making sure we collect, process, and analyse data that is complete, accurate, and accessible, is critical to every decision we make.
- Donors’ cells help us give a second chance of life to three people every day and can also help us discover new treatments and ultimately save more lives.
…and we will focus our research and resources on three key areas to ensure success:
- Expanding: Strengthening and expanding Anthony Nolan’s research portfolio, increasing the breadth and type of research that we do to reflect the whole patient and donor journey.
- Enhancing: Developing infrastructure and collaborations to enable pioneering research, working with patients, donors, research groups, clinical trial networks, and biotech developers to widen the impact of research.
- Educating: Inspiring, encouraging and investing in future researchers through education and training.