Welcome to the Sheffield Apheresis Unit. We’re located in Sheffield, South Yorkshire. Below are some useful links and information about our centre:
Where we are
How to get here
Arriving by car
From the M1
- Exit the motorway at J33 and follow the A630 and A57 into Sheffield.
- At the Park Square roundabout take the A61(S), passing the railway station on your left.
- Follow the signs for the ring road (A61 Barnsley), you will soon start to see signs to the hospital.
From the A61 South
- Follow the A61 into the city. Just after the Halfords superstore, turn left on Bramall Lane (A621), passing the football stadium on your right.
- At the roundabout take the first exit and follow the A61 Barnsley.
- You will soon start to see signs to the hospitals.
Navigating the hospital
A road entrance is opposite the multi-storey carpark. Enter through Outpatients 2, go straight to the end of the corridor to the lifts. Take the lift to O Floor. The reception is straight ahead of you, they will let you in through the double doors behind the back of the lifts on your right.
The Apheresis Room is second on your right, Room 012.
B road entrance this is the main hospital entrance. As you walk through the doors there is a WHSmith’s on your left and an AMT coffee shop straight ahead. The lifts are situated in the middle of the floor. Take the lift to O Floor. Same directions as above.
Places to eat
Ecclesall Road is close to the hospital and is home to plenty of restaurants and cafes. There are also many options within the city centre itself, such as Kommune Market Kitchen and Kelham Island.
The unit is open plan and has a total of 4 beds. When you go for your medical and donation you will see a mix of other donors as well as patients receiving treatment.
Pre-medical: Ensure well hydrated and have eaten. The staff on the unit will offer hot and cold beverages on the day. The medical may take up to three hours.
Pre-collection (PBSC): Ensure well hydrated 1-2 days prior. If you have any bone pain/headaches, you can take analgesia. If you are unsure of what to take, please speak to your coordinator. The staff on the day will again offer hot and cold beverages. The hospital will provide lunch - please let the team know if you have any dietary requirements.