Over the past 35 years, we’ve saved thousands of lives by matching the right donors to people in need of a stem cell transplant. We’re the most successful stem cell register in the UK but for every person we help, there’s another who misses that chance. That’s why we need to expand, grow the register and raise the funds to put our ambitious vision into action. Your money will help us to try and save each and every life.
Since we first began the register in 1974, we’ve come a long way. From only a handful of staff and donors, we’ve now got around 171 staff and over 400,000 people on the register. Shirley Nolan’s tireless fundraising made it possible for us to move to our first official laboratory in 1978. Since then, with help from the Round Table we were able to grow the register and build our research institute in 1993. Fusing science and research with our work has been an invaluable part of helping to save more lives. We cemented this by opening the UK’s first dedicated cord blood bank in 2008, expanding the ways in which we can provide transplants.
As an independent charity, we rely on financial support from individuals and organisations. The funds you donate and help raise go directly towards helping to save lives. Here’s the breakdown:
For every one pound we spend:
- 74p goes to help save lives, recruiting donors and providing transplants for people in desperate need.
- 14p goes towards raising more money, including our fundraising activities, to help us do even more for the future.
- 7p goes to our research to help make our transplants even more successful
- 4p goes on our education programmes
- 1p goes on our governance